Thursday, April 22, 2010

What a difference........

................a new pair of boots makes!
Hope I'm not talking too soon but I now have the Rolls Royce of boots - in comfort, not price, as they were less than you'd pay in Australia.
Took a taxi back to Siena, which was an experience in itself - he was doing 140kph on the autostrada, mobile phone in one hand the whole time, and taking his hands off and swapping hands every 30 seconds - quite terrifying.  I kept thinking thank God I'm in a Mercedes, but then so was Diana.
I had passed an outdoor gear store on the way out of Siens, so he dropped me there, and the 3rd pair fitted like a glove - I couldn't even feel the painful spots in them, so I wore them around Siena for the rest of the day without any problems.

Then yesterday, I took the train and bus from Siena to San Gimignano to pick up my route, and had a short day from there of only 15kms, and my feet felt fine at the end.  After feeling so low 48hours ago, I'm now recharged, especially after the dinner I had last night. .  I had made the booking at this agritourismo, just outside of Gambassi Terme, with Geraldo, who had responded in English, but when I got here, I was greeted by Papa, Andrea, who has no English, and I have yet to see Geraldo - maybe at breakfast.  But the dinner served up by Andrea and his wife was fantastic, washed down by their own vino blanco, vino rosso and Prosecco with dessert.   Truly the best meal I have had in Italy - all fresh food, and made with care as they were eating the same out in the kitchen.  When he came out to ask how I wanted the meat cooked, I didn't understand the alternatives (which were probably well-cooked, or rare) and he then used other words - when I heard "Rosso" I said Si - I love my meat rare!
It was great, but such a biig meal I had trouble getting back to sleep in the middle of the night.
I have a longer day today to San Miniato, so my boots will get a better grounding.  I also stocked up on Compeed (a second skin for blister prevention), just in case!
Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment