Thursday, April 15, 2010

Life - not so beautiful

Day 2 was a totaaly different experience - wet and windy, which was ok once I sorted out my rain gear!  Quickly discovered that raincoat that fits easily at home, not fit so well with full pack and 3 litres of water bottles in the side pockets, plus the bum bag in front.  Once I stowed the bum bag in the pack, cosy!
I have also discovered that getting 'lost' twice a day by taking the wrong turn, then having to backtrack, is not conducive to making big distances, and by mid-afternoon when I pulled into Castel del Piano I was buggered, my calf was very sore, and my hammy threatening to go out in support.  All Italian towns look deserted at siesta, but nothing compares to Castel  on a wet and windy Sunday afternoon.  After accosting the few locals I did find in half an hour of wandering, I discovered that there is no inn in this quite large town, and that there was quite a difference of opinion as to where I might find a bed in a nearby town.   I went with the most common answer and took the bus to San Sisto, but after another hour of wnaderings and frustration, I still had no bed, so I decided to take the bus on to Perugia, where I spent 3 months in 2002, and where I was certain of a bed.  To say I was frustrated would be putting it mildly, but by 8pm I had a room.
I decide to give my leg a rest day, as I also wanted to lighten my pack by posting some stuff ahead to a guy I'm to stay with in Arles, and then the next day to get the train out to where I should have been if I'd managed to stick to my itinerary.
A most frustrating and depressing day - not a happy camper.

1 comment:

  1. Hi dad,

    Lovely to hear from you and sorry to hear about the frustrations. We're sending good vibes over for an improvement in the leg and the accommodation situation!

    We're thinking of you every day and have been enjoying seeing "your location" on the web site progressing along. Well done!

    Seeya soon,
    Fiona, Chris and Alexander

    ReplyDelete