Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Que sera, sera

Yesterday, I left Siena feeling very gratefull to be leaving it behind.
It's a lovely city, and I'd be glad to stay longer under different circumstances, but even in the off-season, it is so crowded.
Now, I have to return.
Yesterday was my first 30km day, mainly due to getting lost, tracks being closed for army exercises, and having walked from Monterriggione to Abbadia, then back again, due to a misunderstanding in translation.
By the end of the day my feet were killing me, and while I hate having to change boots at this stage, I think the boots are the source of a lot of my feet problems.  My calf muscle injury has settled and no problem from that, but I have a blister on the top of my foot that looks on the verge of becoming infected, and both balls of my feet are very painful - a combination of blisters and bruising.
Some of the problem comes from the insoles, but I threw out my spare pair on day 2 (along with many other 'excess' items) to cut down on what I was carrying.
I could carry on, but I need a large town to have some chance to find a suitable pair of boots, So I'm returning to Siena before I get too far away from 'civilization'.
They say a part of any pilgrimage is suffering, and I now think I qualify!
Here's hoping I can find some boots, and that they're not too hard to break-in.
Ciao for now

No comments:

Post a Comment