Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Underway at last

Assisi to Torgiano
A very interesting first day, starting with getting ‘lost’ on my way to the Basilica! I’ve been in Assisi numerous times, and have walked all its streets, but this morning I wasn’t concentrating on the way, and ended up at one of the lower gates. I had to laugh – here I am setting out to walk 2500 kms across 3 countries, and I get lost in the first few hundred meters.
When I reached the basilica they were just finishing a service in the crypt, so I sat and listened to the singing in quiet contemplation – quite serene. Then I fronted to the Office and got my first stamp on my Pilgrim’s Passport – your entry to the many places of religious accommodation along the way.
Then I left Assisi and descended to a path along a tributary of the River Tiber, which I followed for 3 hours before the path started to deteriorate, and then finally disappeared in the middle of the farmer’s fields. I had missed a crossing, and now I was faced with a detour to a main road adding kilometers to my planned route. By this time I was getting very tired, a factor of both a far heavier pack than I’d been training in, and of the fact that I have been unable to do any major walking in the 2 weeks before I left.
I eventually found myself in Torgiano, and tried to ring the B&B I’d booked which was still 2 hours walk away. I was hoping they would be aqble to come and pick me up, but I couldn’t get through on the number I had, so I checked into an Albergo in Torgiano, fell onto the bed, and went straight to sleep for an hour or so.
The good thing about the day was that my feet and calf felt fine most of the time, the main problem being adjusting my shoulders to the weight of a heavier pack. Have made some changes to the pack straps, so hoping this will ease the pull on my shouders.
Tomorrow has become a longer day, allowing for the extra kms not done today, and I will get away a bit earlier.
The weather has been fine, even hot today walking on the tarmac roads for the second half, and the countryside is magnificent – very green, spring flowers out, and the deciduous trees just starting to bud.
Life is beautiful

1 comment: