Sunday, March 7, 2010

One month to go

Wow, I can hardly believe I'm writing that, and part of me wishes it wasn't so - there's still so much to do, and I know how quickly 30 days will go!
Fortunately, my foot problems have settled down, and I'm now doing longer walks in my new boots, and I'm feeling more comfortable with them.
I was about to set out for a walk yesterday, but had a look at the radar before I left and decided it wasn't a good time. While the storm descended on Melbourne in all its fury, down here we were spared the worst, only getting 16mm for the day.
I set off this morning (Sunday), hoping to try out my new rain cape (pictured on another day), but only got a bit of drizzle, but it was probably enough to make me feel satisfied that my new gear will do the job.  I was 'sold' on it on the basis that it covered both me and the pack, and unlike putting a cover on the pack, and a separate jacket on myself, it would keep the pack straps dry, while still allowing a reasonable airflow around the body, especially since you can open/close the front with velcro tabs, as well as covering up for storms with the zippers.
I have now started seeking sponsors in earnest, so please, if you are able to make a donation, please do so.
I was very heartened that my local alpaca breeders group have decided to give me a send-off, with funds raised going to the foundation - Thanks to the Daddo's for that great initiative.
I also visited the Leukaemia Foundation on Friday, and got a very warm welcome.  It's nice to feel  that my efforts are appreciated and will help the cause, even if only in a small way.

1 comment:

  1. I see the altus atmospheric poncho - I notice it because i have been going CRAZY trying to order and get it sent (whilst the Euro is good ..) We will be doing the francigena from Switzerland to about Lucca in September.


    Good luck - bon camino!

    ReplyDelete