Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Injured - BUGGER!

After much indecision, and a discussion with the podiatrist, I finally bought new boots - a low cut pair made By Hi-Tec.
I have worn Hi-Tecs for the past 15 years, and have always found them comfortable and easy to wear in. Started out with a couple of shorter walks, and having no trouble with blisters or rubbing, I thought "These are Ok", and took off on a 20km+ walk.
At the end my feet were very sore, and by the time I got home, felt that I would not have wanted to be walking any further. The next day my instep was killing me, so off to the podiatrist again. The diagnosis : plantar fasciitis. Unfortunately, ALL the Hi-Tec boots are now made with a higher arch, which seemed to be causing the problem. The podiatrist said I needed to wear them around for shorter periods to get them loosened up, before doing any more longer walks. Typical me - getting impatient and rushing things.
So I started icing,massage and taping, and took 4 or 5 days off which eased the pain considerably. I then starting walking again with my old boots, and with much trepidation, I took off yesterday in the new boots to walk down to gym at Dromana - about 8 kms. Fortunately, I arrived in good shape, and although they are a little tender this morning, I'm now more confident they will settle in. Best to be having these problems now, rather than in Italy, and I still have 6 weeks to get them right.

Happy to say that I now have 3 sponsors having lodged pledges on my website in addition to the direct donations, even though I haven't yet started to actively seek sponsorship. Thanks for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment