Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Just when I needed it most!

Two days ago, i was at my lowest ebb since starting this walk, as a result of a number of factors, and thoughts of pulling the plug were even going through my mind, but I decided I would just focus on getting to Arles in 2 days, and once there I was planning a catch-up and clothes shop day, and I could re-assess then.
Woke up to another rainy morning which didn't help my mood as I had a long day ahead, but at least the rain stopped before I headed off.
I was about 90 minutes into the walk when I came to a corner and was checking out the options and just setting off down the right road when along come a couple of cyclists. I asked where they were from, and he said Canada and America. I said "are you Doug" and he said "Yes, are you Alan".
We had emailed a few times and Doug had sent me some maps, and we knew we'd be there at roughly the same time, but he was meant to be going through ahead of me. However, I was ahead of my schedule because I'd trained ahead, and he'd been delayed a week by the volcanic ash fallout, e voila. He was as delighted to see me as I was to see them, and I was the first pilgrim they had encountered on the road. We chatted for about 20 minutes and then they rode off into the distance, but I could see their tracks in the wet soil and mud all day so that maintained the connection.

I was staggered by the timing - it couldn't have come at a better time for me and I took it as a sign that I'm meant to continue this undertaking. They are riding to Toulouse, then hiring a car back to Nice, so we swapped numbers and may catch up again in a couple of weeks when they pass me going the other way.
I'm not religious, but it was another one of those times when I think - there has to be more to it than co-incidence. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alan, reading your blog today, I can't help but wonder if that isn't a common challenge with doing any sort of pilgrimage. JUst so you know, I hang off every word you write and have found myself being somewhat disappointed when I go onto your blog and find there are no new entries. Regarding your meeting and your question ... this quote by WH Murray written in 1951 in his book The Himalaya Expedition aligns with my thoughts on the subject. "Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back. Concerning all acts of initiative, there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans (including your pilgrimage):that the moment one definately commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would come his way. What ever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now."
    Alan, I am inspired by your dream and whatever you choose, I look forward to meeting you when you return to Australia. I am sure there is a lot I will be able to learn from you.Looking forward to seeing how you get on.
    Russell

    ReplyDelete