Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Frog-hopping to France

As those of you who click on the W.T.F.A.I. button would have seen (aka. my location), I am now heading south-west towards the French border.

To avoid 2 days of walking through the burbs and industrial areas of Genoa, I took a train across to Arenzano, and started walking from there. Part of the first day was on an abandoned railway track that has been converted to a bike/foot path, but after that a lot of walking has been along the side of the Via Aurelia, which (apart from the autostrada) is the main route along the coast. Sometimes there's a footpath, but a lot of the time there's not, and quite often tunnels without footpaths add to the 'spice'. Couple this with walking on the edge of high rocky headlands, and it's not much fun, especially for someone with vertigo and a fear of heights. Add in a forecast of heavy rain today, which proved correct, and I opted for the bus and train to move ahead to Imperia. When I saw the road I would have been walking on, through the rain, I was so glad I'd taken the bus. From here, I think the coast flattens out, and for the last half of the distance to the border, the recycled rail-trail reappears, so the next couple of days should be ok.
Time to practice la francaise!

No comments:

Post a Comment